June 2011

Meeting Notes

Friends of Tod Creek Watershed meet the first Wednesday of every second month.
You are welcome to join us.

Mission: To protect and enhance the integrity and biodiversity of the Tod Creek Watershed.

To view notes from previous meetings, use the “Meeting Notes” Archive links on the right panel.


22 JUNE, 2011

Present: Art Dimock, Woody Thomson, Winona Pugh, Bernie Bowker, Mary Haig-

Regrets: Frances Hunter, Sherron MacPherson, Graham Walker, Pat Carfra, Tasha Dilay,

1. Adoption of Agenda m/s Bernie/Woody
2. Adoption of meeting notes from 4 May, 2011 m/s Winona/Woody

3.    Announcements:
a) Peninsula Streams Society memberships – time for renewal.  We are
closely connected with Peninsula Streams who are a registered charity and
apply for grants on our behalf as needed, provide administrative back up
and have a Registered Professional Biologist who advises us.  They
appreciate memberships whose numbers swell their ranks.  See Mary for a
$5.00 membership.
b) Canada Goose Survey – Winona, Audrey, Sherron and Mary are taking
part in the year long survey of habits, locations and numbers of Canada
geese throughout the CRD.  The information will be used to develop a
management strategy for these introduced, non-migratory geese.  We
welcome anyone interested in joining us on Prospect Lake or Tod Creek
Flats for the monthly survey.
c) Blue Bird Project – A search is on for suitable places to put and monitor
nesting boxes for Western Blue Birds who may be returning to this area
which was once home to many. Mary is meeting with Dawn Fizzard to
assess the suitability of the Flats as a site for nesting boxes.  We may be
asking for volunteers to monitor the boxes.  Let Mary know if you are
d) Development Permit response submitted for Monday, 20 June.  Thank you
for all your comments.
e) World River’s Day – September 25th.  We may plan for a flotilla to travel
around the lake and as far down the stream as possible.
f) Web site was hacked, rebuilding in progress.  Dave Renfroe coming over
June 23 at 10:00 to gather more data.

4.    Updates:
a) Tod Creek Flats – A successful Public Meeting was held in May
sponsored by MLA Lana Popham, and hosted by the Unitarian Church.
About 40 people attended to learn about plans for the site.  A thank you to
all who arranged and attended this gathering.  We are continuing the
search for funding for a hydrological study of the area.
b) Meadowbrook Reservoir – Water licence, change of purpose for part of
the licence from agriculture to conservation.  When this is completed we
will reapply to PSF for funding to repair the dam.
a) Whitehead/Eastlake – invasives removal continues on Monday mornings
at 9:30.  Currently we are spreading mulch brought by Saanich to
Eastlake.  They will bring much more to Whitehead Park soon to amend
the soil on the Goward Road side.  We would like to be ready for fall
planting so would appreciate any help available on Monday mornings.
b) Heather Planting at Prospect Lake School rain garden was completed with
help from Mrs. Lael’s enthusiastic class. Thank you all including the
Horticlutural College who gave us a great price on the plants.

5.    Logo – a design by Desmond Bowker was approved.  He will now do a fine copy
which will be digitized and made suitable for signs, web site, business cards etc.

6.    Lake Health:  Lake Stewardship Society – Winona has joined the BCLSS and has
had a session with Art.  She will be monitoring water quality following BCLSS
protocol.  Woody does this for Maltby Lake.
a) Echo Boat Launch sign is up and well received.  We hope boaters will
follow its instructions.
b) Articles by Mark Hume and Jack Knox concerning lakeshore health were
discussed.  Since this is obviously a much bigger problem than just
Prospect Lake we decided to talk with Klaus Kuhn of CVRD cited by the
reporters.  Mary and Winona to arrange this.

7.    Heritage Report – They have applied to CRD Arts Grants for $1 000 to be used to
publish a coffee table book of photos and stories of early Prospect Lake.  They
propose to use an on-line publishing programme.

8.    Walk:  Walks will begin again in the fall.

9.    Next meeting:   Date: Wednesday, 7 September.  Location: to be announced,
possibly Maltby Lake.  Mary will be away for August and September.  Winona
will arrange meeting.  Several grant deadlines will be approaching at that time.


Comments are closed.