2 January 2019

Meeting Notes

Friends of Tod Creek Watershed meet the first Wednesday of every second month.
You are welcome to join us.

Mission: To protect and enhance the integrity and biodiversity of the Tod Creek Watershed.

To view notes from previous meetings, use the “Meeting Notes” Archive links on the right panel.


Friends of Tod Creek Watershed

Mission: to protect and enhance the integrity and biodiversity of the Tod Creek Watershed.

Thank you to Audrey for hosting our meeting.

In Attendance: Winona Pugh, Mary Haig-Brown, Bernie Bowker, Garth van der Kamp, Pat Carfra, Audrey Barnes, Michael Derry, Joanne Delage, Carmel Thomson, Lori James Derry

Regrets: Anne Allen, Ian Duncan, Sherron MacPherson, Janet Williams

1. Adoption of agenda: passed;

2. Adoption of meeting notes: passed;

3. Treasurers report: closing balance as of November 7, 2018 $494.68.

  • Current balance: $505.64 [including a generous anonymous donation of $200];

4. Correspondence: a thank you note was sent to Rob Wickson for meeting with the FOTCW regarding Saanich election.

  • Thank you to Carmel and Lori for designing a custom FTCW card;

5. Announcements:

a) “Living Water Smart” was published by the BC Gov’t 10 years ago. ? https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/environment/air-land-water/water/water-planning-strategies/living-water-smart

POLIS has just published “Taking the Pulse: BC Freshwater Policy Monitoring” to comment on progress. https://poliswaterproject.org/polis-research-publication/taking-the-pulse/

  • Both of these are available on line;

b) Gov’t of Canada SEP funding has produced “Salmonid Enhancement Program (SEP) Tod Creek Enhancement Plan.”  This lays out a programme for Coho reintroduction in our watershed.  Work has already started with some (300) smolts to be released with PIT tags enabling monitoring as they pass antenna in Tod Creek.

  • Learn more on Tuesday evening, January 15 from Melissa Nottingham. Input for discussion topics has been requested.
    Winona will update the web site regarding where & time this meeting will take place.
  • See our “Kid’s Page” for some educational information from the as-yet unpublished DRAFT. https://www.todcreekwatershed.ca/kids-page

c) The Pugh Covenant located on the edge of the Tod Creek Watershed has been completed with local media interest providing positive coverage.

d) The College of Applied Biology has released the report regarding the Ted Lea complaints.

6. Previous Business:

a) Mary Haig Brown Recognition Award – meeting date to be determined by the Committee;

b) One organic farmer has committed to farming a portion of Tod Flats, property for sale has been taken off the market;

c) Whitehead Park: Saanich crews removed more yellow flag iris roots, mimulus has been planted, a successful work party was held on November 24 with cardboard and mulch spread on the west side of the creek.

  • Thank you to Pat Carfra and Ian Duncan for obtaining and delivering the carboard;

d) Tod Creek enhancement Plan – Salmonid Enhancement Program will be introduced (see 5b above);

7. Projects:

a) Water Quality Sampling continues with hope to add flow rates to our data.

  • Peninsula Streams is interested in collecting data bank for streams within their operations. We now have over three years of information.
  • Garth, Mary, Michael & Winona will get out for next sampling Sat 5th @ 1 pm;

b) Promotions: Ian Duncan will contact local printer Jarid Taylor at BRANDIGENOUS for promotional material, stickers, business cards and correspondence cards with the FTCW logo;

c) Power to Be had a biophysical assessment done of their property.  They sent us a copy, which Winona can send electronically.

  • I have emailed Power to Be to request: we include them on our website under “Community Partners” and that I can put a link here to the assessment.
  • We appreciate the help given us by Jay Cole of Power to Be at our Monday morning sessions in Whitehead Park;

d) Peninsula Streams Society is continuing the planning for work on lower Tod Creek in order to allow returning fish to get above the dam before they are eaten by seals. They hope to involve Camosun Engineering students in this project;

e) CRD Watershed page –working on submission for inclusion of Tod Creek Watershed on CRD web page.

  • Carmel, Winona and Lori will attend to this submission;

f) Blue Green Algae: Jill Robinson, Elk Beaver Lake Initiatives Coordinator has contacted Pat about her photos of Blue Green Algae bloom submitted last year.

  • As Jill is interested in connecting with FTCW, there will be a meeting possibly at Pat’s, including Mary & Winona;

g) Heritage Society: planning AGM early in January, notice will be sent out re when and where.

  • the Heritage Society will show David R. Gray‘s videos: Beyond the Gardens’ Wall: The Immigrant Workers of Tod Inlet and [time permitting, or at a later meeting] Searching for the Sikhs of Tod Inlet.
  • His “…company was established in 1993 to provide research and multimedia communication services to governments, non-government institutions and private organizations. We specialize in the Canadian Arctic, the environment, and community history. We create documentary films, written publications, museum exhibits and virtual museum exhibitions. Our services include research, writing, editing and filmmaking.”
  • Check out the web site here: http://arcticgrayhound.ca/filmmaking.html

h) Maltby Lake: Carmel did not add current information for update;

i) Webpage updates: Visit our website and contact Lori for any comments, submissions, and photos to add;

j) Saanich Newsletter “Our Backyard” is looking for submissions by Jan 16th. Winona and Carmel will confer;

k) South Prospect Lake Broom Pull, April/ May: Mary will contact Green Team, and secure volunteers.

Next Meeting : March 6, 2019 7:30 pm at Michael & Lori’s 


Comments are closed.