Friends of Tod Creek Watershed meet the first Wednesday of every second month.
You are welcome to join us.
Mission: To protect and enhance the integrity and biodiversity of the Tod Creek Watershed.
To view notes from previous meetings, use the “Meeting Notes” Archive links on the right panel.
Friends of Tod Creek Watershed
Mission: to protect and enhance the integrity and biodiversity of the Tod Creek Watershed
Thank you to Woody and Carmel for hosting our meeting
In Attendance: Sherron MacPherson, Michael Derry, Janet Williams, Ian Duncan, Audrey Barnes, Joanne Delage, Pat Carfra, Garth van der Kamp, Woody Thomson, Mary Haig-Brown, Bernie Bowker, Carmel Thomson, Winona Pugh, Anne Allen, and Lori James Derry
1. Adoption of Agenda: passed
2. Adoption of Meeting Notes: passed
3. Treasurers Report: closing balance as of July 4, 2018 $444.68
a. Green Shores Training Program Tuesday October 23 9:00am – 4:00pm University of Victoria. A one day workshop to introduce basic shoreline ecosystem principles and management https://continuingstudies.uvic.ca/science-and-ecological-restoration
b. BC Lake Stewardship Society AGM Tuesday September 18 phone in 12:00 noon [see their web site for details]
- Winona will mail in notes at your requests, email her with your suggestions
c. Oil’s Deep State: Kevin Taft ,Wednesday September 12 7:00- 9:00pm
- Lori will email the Friends of Tod Creek Watershed logo to be included on supporters list
d. Saanich Council Meeting – Geothermal Loop application Monday September 17th 7:00pm
e. Saanich Inlet Roundtable – October 11th at Shoal Point Center: Winona will send out the agenda when she gets it
5. Previous Business:
a. Mary Haig Brown Recognition Award: Small committee of Audrey, Sherron, Pat & Bernie will develop a proposal regarding this award
b. Secchi Dip In results and article by Carmel Thomson can be read: https://maltbylake.com
c. McCall Gardens Tour – date to be determined, Winona will send out an email for participants
d. Power to Be tour – indication of interest, they would like to give us a tour, Winona will arrange for a Sunday afternoon, to include the most people
a. Tod Creek Flats
- recent tour shows it will take a lot of rehab for farmers, we hope for a good show of interest from organic farmers, whom Mary will connect with the landowners
b. Whitehead Park
- Winona to arrange for a work party soon, after the rains soften the soil for us to work in
- weekly maintenance group continues to meet Mondays at 9:30 am and welcomes all joiners
c. Watershed Management Plan
- Mary has written a Water Management Plan, and will present Data Collection at a later date
- Garth is working on Tod Creek Watershed Flows Survey, and invites interested people to join him at any time. His objective is to observe and estimate stream flows in the watershed at as many access points as possible [typically where the streams pass beneath roads and trails] during a short time period [ideally a few hours] and after a prolonged dry period. This provides a strong indication of deep persistent groundwater discharge to the streams and also serves as a base for comparison with future changes of flow regimes due to climate change and land-use change.
d. Peninsula Streams
- Annual Fund Raiser looking for venue/s that support salmon enhancement
- regular updates, please have a look: https://www.todcreekwatershed.ca
f. Heritage Society
- AGM coming up, date & time will be sent out by Winona
- Carmel shared the 1889 Land Grant to Richard Maltby
g. Maltby Lake
- Carmel would like to promote a Saanich “Planning Dept” for landowners who are gifting &/or protecting property, much like the current “Planning Dept” for developers. It’s a steep learning curve regarding logistics and assistance would foster community members wishing to take this direction.
h. Prospect Lake Community Association invitation to provide article on Whitehead Park for community newsletter and have FOTCW poster display at AGM. Winona will enquire what newsletter the invitation is for; and we would like to have a display at the AGM on Oct 24th
i. Water Quality and Aquatic Plant Sampling on Wednesday, September 5th
- see the link below for photos and plant ID:
Next Meeting: November 7th, 7:00 pm at Pat Carfra’s