Category Archives: Meeting Notes

1 Nov 2017

FRIENDS OF TOD CREEK WATERSHED
AGENDA – 1 NOVEMBER, 2017

Mission: to protect and enhance the integrity and biodiversity of the Tod Creek Watershed.
Regrets: Michael Derry, Lori James Derry, Bernie Bowker
Present: Ian Duncan, Anne Allen, Audrey Barnes, Carmel Thomson, Winona Pugh, Pat Carfra, Joanne Delage, Mary Haig-Brown

Adoption of Agenda
Adoption of Meeting Notes of 6 September, 2017

Treasurer’s Report:
Closing Balance 6 Sept, 2017 $ 744.68
No changes this period

Announcements:

Conservation Connection Forum: Carmel, Mary and Ian attended. 9 interesting speakers and much networking.

Green Team (Amanda Evans) would like a general letter of support stressing the work they have done in Saanich. The letter will be used in fund raising and grant applications. The Green Team gives environmental projects a huge boost at no cost to the organization, but at a big cost to the organizers (Amanda). Grant money would make this very worthwhile organization viable. Winona and Joanne will write and send this letter.

Saanich Inlet Roundtable – Winona reported that the Round Table would like us to join them. They have done much to rid the inlet of derelict boats and buoys, discussed the proposed LNG facility and are now looking at run off into the inlet, a perfect fit for FTCW. Winona will represent us at future meetings and keep us informed.

PSS Fundraiser – Dinner (tickets $60.00, 1/2 are sold) and Silent Auction at Prospect Lake Hall on November 25, 2017. Some silent auction items open for bidding on PSS web site starting Friday: http://peninsulastreams.ca.

Killarney Lake Bathymetry has been done by CRD. Lake is 19m deep with a surprisingly symmetrical bowl. This suggests that it contains a good supply of water which could be used to enhance Killarney Creek in periods of low flow in October and November.

Saanich Tree Appreciation Day Nov. 4, 2017. Planting events are at Swan Creek and at Brydon & Mahon Brook GORP site from 10:00 – 12:00.

Watershed Bus Tour. Nov. 5th. Meet at Prospect Lake School at 9:45. Light lunch provided by Red Barn. Return to school at 2:30. This is the second tour which was postponed from Oct. 21. There were still 10 seats available as of 1 November. Call Francesca at Pen Streams to reserve one of these.

Open House on Oct. 14th was highly successful. A good discussion with a panel of experts and plenty of time for questions. All was brilliantly moderated by Anne Marie Daniel. From informal discussions it appears that some people’s fears were allayed.

Follow up needed. Water Sustainability Act? We agreed that the questions arising at the meeting had to do with water sustainability, water licences and other issues requiring permissions. We would like to sponsor a public meeting to address these issues. Mary will find a speaker and a venue.

Projects:

Water quality monitoring continues monthly. Next date Mon 6 November. We have also been going with Kitty Lloyd of CRD on their 5 in 30 round on Tod Creek. Mary and Winona will do our sampling collection along with Kitty Lloyd of CRD. Mary and Carmel will do Maltby after that.

Tod Creek Flats – Landowners are interested in exploring the idea of a wet land. Meeting with Saanich on Nov. 20th to discuss this. Mary will attend representing FTCW.

Whitehead Park. – Maintenance on going. Michael is top dressing the trails with chips. The horsetail is dying down exposing the plants with their new summer growth.

Pulling Together Training is on Nov. 18th.

Web site – Lori keeps adding to this very informative site. People mentioned appreciating the photos and the History paper.

Lake Stewardship – Winona. Aquatic Plant Survey was held on Oct 1st. There was still plenty of coontail. No invasives were observed. An algae bloom was noted at the north end of the lake. A sample has been taken to Laura Kline of CRD.

History – With much effort we produced a document that outlines our achievements over the last 17 years. Lori has posted this on the web site. As Ian pointed out this will be valuable in any future grant applications.

Historical Society – Winona reports the AGM will be held next Thurs at 11:00 at the Charlotte and Quail. The changes resulting from the new Societies Act will be ratified.

Maltby Lake nothing to report

Next Meeting – January 3rd, 2018.
Location: Audrey’s

Winona, Carmel & Lori will be attending this worthwhile event:

6 Sept 2017

FRIENDS OF TOD CREEK WATERSHED
MEETING NOTES – 6 SEPTEMBER, 2017

Mission: To protect and enhance the integrity and biodiversity of the Tod Creek Watershed.
Regrets: Carmel Thomson, Walter Wright
Present: Michael Derry, Pat Carfra, Audrey Barnes, Ann Allen, Ian Duncan, Woody Thomson, Bernie Bowker, Winona Pugh, Lori James Derry, Joanne Delage, Janet Williams, Mary Haig-Brown

Adoption of Agenda
Adoption of Meeting Notes of 5 July, 2017 with change 5 b) Tod Creek work…”restore Tod Creek from Hartland Road to Lohr Road”

Treasurer’s Report:
Closing balance 5 July $ 755.68
Cheque for SD Cards – 41.00
Deposit donation + 30.00
Balance 6 Sept, 2017 $ 744.68

Announcements:

Conservation Connection Forum – Thurs. Oct 12 at Hort Centre
Register at HAT web site or phone 250-995-2428. Cost $50.00. Mary has registered for this excellent event. See attached poster.

PSS Memberships available for those who have not renewed
Open House event Saturday Oct, 14th – Planning in progress. Watershed bus tours on Oct 7th and Oct 21st. Please register on PSS web site. Discussion about the timing of the bus tour. Perhaps Maltby Lake could be a separate event combined with the Historical Society AGM at the end of October.

Trail Connection – Janet Williams reported that Lister Farrer of Camosun’s Centre for Sports Excellence is organizing a bike ride which will cross private land under the power lines. This is a onetime only event. Unfortunately a map of the route showing the private land area as trail was published in the TC. This has led to cyclists crossing the private land without permission or respect for the land.

Email from PLPS re meeting was received by Winona suggesting some members would like to come to a meeting. We suggested she reply pointing out that all our meeting notes are posted on our website and asking if they have a specific item they are interested in.

Projects:

Water Quality monitoring – Ongoing on Tod Creek (7 sites), Maltby (3 sites). Also Kitty Lloyd of CRD is doing 5 sites on Tod and Killarney 5 times now and then 5 times after the rains start. We will share data.

Tod Creek Flats – Michael will be pouring footings for head walls at the creek end of the culverts. He hopes to set it up so that the fish traps will be easier to access, count and empty. The muskrat living in the central culvert will have to find a more conventional home.

The work on the creek between Hartland and Lohr Roads has been completed. Golden willow was removed and riffles installed to permit better flow.

Whitehead Park – On 18th July 28 Quebec Students came to hear Elizabeth May speak. Then we went to the Park where they did more cardboard and mulch, and removed blackberries and ivy. They accomplished more than expected which was great.
Fall planting on west side to cover the mulch and cardboard will begin soon. We had applied for a Small Sparks Grant from Saanich for plants, but have not heard so will probably spread some seed instead. The current HAT newsletter on bees has a list of plants to attract pollinators. We will use this and Kristen Miskelly’s list of suggested plants to guide us.
Maintenance on east side involves cleaning up trails and removing excess growth where appropriate.
The Wheelbarrow is gone! Michael has offered a replacement.

Web site – Lori has added the photo point monitoring photos of the flats to the site. She continues to update as appropriate.

Lake Stewardship – Winona – Aquatic Plant survey will take place in September or early October. Joanne will arrange for a floating dock and Winona will call for volunteers when she knows the date.

History – We are working on a history of FTCW. A group of us have been going through 17 years of Meeting Notes. It is a huge job as we have done so much in that time. We are trying to pick out a few key events with some sort of indexing system if possible. We need a brief summary of our history for October Open House. It has been an interesting process to review all this work.
Historical Society AGM is coming up.

Maltby Lake – Woody reports that the lake is high given the lack of rain. This is probably due to the work of the beaver at the old abandoned causeway. They have built dams and a third lodge there.
Historical Society AGM will happen this fall.

Next meeting – 1 November
Location: Pat Carfra’s house.

5 July 2017

FRIENDS OF TOD CREEK WATERSHED
MEETING NOTES – 5 JULY, 2017

Mission: To protect and enhance the integrity and biodiversity of the Tod Creek Watershed.
Present: Woody Thomson, Carmel Thomson, Janet Williams, Pat Carfra, Winona Pugh, Mary Haig-Brown
Regrets: Joanne Delage, Bernie Bowker, Sherron MacPherson, Michael and Lori James Derry

Adoption of Agenda
Adoption of Meeting Notes of 3 May, 2017
Treasurer’s Report
Closing balance 3 May $ 755.68
No activity
Closing Balance 5 July $ 755.68

Announcements:
Mary is retiring in June, 2018.

DFO funding for education programmes was restored. FTCW received a letter from Diana Trager, Director, Oceans and Salmon Enhancement Programme of DFO informing us that “…services previously identified as being part of the reductions will be maintained….” That is great news and largely due to the outcry and letters from all concerned.

Pen Streams – Please renew memberships if you haven’t already done so. Several of the projects we are involved in are due to the work of PSS. Renew on the PSS web site or email me mhaigbrown@telus.net. Cost is $20.00 for the year.

PLPS meeting re Coho release –continued education needed as there is much misinformation about the needs of Coho. People were mostly concerned about the loss of enjoyment of their waterfront and the resultant loss in property value. It is expected that, if they were not reassured at the PLPS meeting, they will learn more in our October events, the bus tour and panel discussion.

Watershed bus tours scheduled for Saturdays Oct 7 & 21 and an Open house/panel discussion for Saturday Oct 14 at the Unitarian Church. Planning is in process. It was suggested we send invitations to the media and politicians for the bus tours.

Projects:
Water Quality monitoring – ongoing with the next session on Sunday. Winona and Mary would be happy to have anyone who is interested come along.
Maltby monitoring will begin July 12

Tod Creek work – PSS has RFCPP grant to finish Flats work and restore Tod Creek from Adoption of Agenda

Whitehead Park –

East side maintenance is always useful. Mulching trails, weeding around plants and enjoying the beauty are ongoing.

West side Reed Canary Grass is being spread with cardboard and mulched. We will plant on this in the fall. The idea is to keep the RCG down until the riparian plants are big enough to shade it out.
On July 18 we will be hosting 28 students from Quebec who are here with the YMCA. They will meet with Elizabeth May for ½ hour and then spend the next 1 ½ hours working on the cardboard and pulling ivy. Saanich will bring the necessary tools and then take away the pile of ivy. This event takes place from 7-9 pm with arrival at the park shortly after 7:30. Feel free to come and enjoy the fun.

Web site continues to grow under the direction of Lori.

Lake Stewardship – Winona reports that the summer sampling will be done again this summer. The secci disc readings will be done in July as per the BC Lake Stewardship protocols. Plant sampling will happen in September as this is usually the time of maximum growth.

Maltby Lake continues to be beautiful and as we held the meeting we watched beaver and birds going about their business.

Next meeting – 6 September. Location: Janet Williams, 2281 Burkin Place. This will be the first time we have met in the Highlands on the rim of our watershed.